How to Borrow
The library offers books, movies, audio books, books in large print, and magazines for borrowing. Downloadable audio books and e-books are also available.
Borrowers must present a library card that is valid for use at this library. A card may be used only by the person whose name appears on the card and in the computer record.
You must be 18 years old to borrow any video (VHS) or DVD.
Borrowing In Person at Other Libraries
Through our membership in MAIN (Morris Automated Information Network) you may use your Riverdale library card to borrow and return materials when you visit another public library in Morris County. Click here to see the list.
Through the open borrowing program, you can use your Riverdale library card when you visit any one of more than 150 public libraries in Passaic, Sussex and parts of Middlesex, Warren, Union, Monmouth, Hudson, Essex and Somerset Counties. Ask for a green sticker on your card to show that you are in good standing with your home library. Non-residents may borrow most Riverdale materials with library cards issued by other cooperating public libraries in the same ten counties.
All residents of Morris County may use the library of the County College of Morris. Please contact them for specific information at 214 Center Grove Road, Randolph, NJ 07869-2086 -- (973) 328-5000, www.ccm.edu.
Loan Periods and Fees
|Material||Loan Period||Daily Fine||Maximum Fine per Item|
|Books||28 days||$0.10 per day||$5.00|
|New Books||14 days||$0.10 per day||$5.00|
|Audio Books||28 days||$0.10 per day||$5.00|
|Movies||7 days||$1.00 per day||$5.00|
|Juvenile Movies||14 days||$1.00 per day||$5.00|
|Music CDs||14 days||$0.10 per day||$2.00|
|Magazines||29 days||$0.10 per day||$2.00|
|Newspapers||Do not circulate||N/A||N/A|
|Reference Materials||Do not circulate||N/A||N/A|
- A two day grace period is granted for books. However, if the item is returned beyond this time, fines will accrue from the first day the item was overdue. Movies and any item with a per diem fine greater than 10 cents are not eligible for a grace period.
- Fines are not assessed for days the library is closed.
- If you lose or damage a book, we must charge the price indicated in the system to replace the item. An item is considered lost when it is overdue for 90 days.
- A patron’s borrowing privileges will be blocked when outstanding fines reach $5.00.
- Fines may also apply to specially marked materials such as DVDs which should be returned inside the library, not in the book drop.
- From time to time, we may limit loan periods or limit the number of materials for checkout because they are in unusually high demand.
For more details, please click here: Policy – Loans Fines.
Vacation Loans for Riverdale Cardholders
You may request an extended loan period for books that are normally loaned for 28 days. We will give you a due date that allows you to keep these materials until the end of your vacation.
Finding Out When Items Are Due
- There are several ways to find out when items are due:
- Check “MY ACCOUNT” – click in the box on the top right hand side of the page.
- If you provide us with an email address, we will let you know when books are coming due.
- You can also use LIBRARY ELF, a free Internet service that tracks when books are due. Library Elf allows you to combine information from multiple libraries and for multiple library cards and family members. Click here to register.
Books and other materials from the Riverdale Public Library may be renewed two times for the established loan period, providing there are no outstanding reserves or holds on the items.
Most items can be renewed online via the “MY ACCOUNT” feature of the Web Catalog. You may also renew in person or by telephone. Some movies must be renewed in person or by phone.
When the library is open, all items should be returned at the circulation desk inside the library. When the library is closed, many items may be returned in the book drop. Marked items such as DVDs and specially marked items should never be dropped in the book drop. Fines will apply.
Materials checked out from Riverdale may be returned to other MAIN libraries.
How to Request an Item
You may request a hold on almost any item in the MAIN catalog. We will contact you when it arrives and hold it for you at the front desk for up to three business days. Use the online catalog or see library staff to place a hold. Some restrictions may apply.
View the MAIN Catalog tutorials for information on how to place a hold.
You can check or change your holds at any time by logging onto “My Account” from the Web Catalog (see below).
How to Check Your Account
You can log on to the MAIN Web Catalog to find out what materials are checked out on your card, when they are due and if there are any fines or fees expected. You can also renew most items. You need your library card barcode number and your 4-digit PIN. Please visit the library if you do not know your PIN. (Note: To protect against other people using your library card, we must do this in person.)
- Log onto the Web Catalog using your library card barcode and 4-digit PIN.
- Go to “My Account/Renewals” at the top right of this page. Review options for viewing your records, renewing, updating your email, and changing your PIN.
How to Search the Catalog
The MAIN Web Catalog is the way to locate all the materials – books, movies, magazines, etc. available in all the public libraries in Morris County.
Access the catalog by clicking on the MAIN Catalog button in the upper right corner of this screen.
For detailed instructions on how to use the web catalog, click on the Tutorials button in the top center of the MAIN website's screen.